Vintage & Fashion news, pretty vintage items and of course wee bit personal life style ramblings of an eleven year on line vintage clothing seller, avid fashion, antique and vintage lover

Friday, November 4, 2011

Farewell to Austin

Once upon a time there was a man who absolutely worshiped and adored his beautiful wife. Loved her truly, madly, deeply. And she him.

The man was an executive for a major oil company based out of Austin, TX but his job required him to travel extensively. He didn't mind, as he was almost always home on weekends to be with his wife and lovely daughters. When possible, his wife joined him but usually just preferred being home with their girls and their normal schedule.

After 20 years of marriage, the woman suddenly became sick. Bedridden, her teen age daughters cared for her before and after school, neighbors popping in during the day checking on her, and of course her husband trying to restrict his travels.

But, as he did travel, each trip he bought her something fabulous. Always lingerie since she was bedridden. Usually frilly and feminine, but demure at the same time and never the same style. Nothing was too good for his wife. If he was in a small town, he loved little local boutiques. Major cities he often went to upscale stores and purchased from Lord and Taylor, Saks, and Neiman's. He never came home without a special gift for his wife. She was the love of his life, and he wanted her to feel beautiful even restricted to the bed.

Sadly, she passed away in the late 80s. He died most likely from a broken heart just a few years later. Their daughters packed up the house and stored almost everything, unable to part with most of it.



Last year they decided the time was "right" and they knew they had to deal with their parents items, including their mother's lingerie.

If possible and I can corner a family member at an estate sale I try to get provenance for my customers. This time I not only got provenance but a glass of sweet tea when the daughters discovered I had driven from Ft. Worth just for the lingerie and they also shared this amazing love story with me. We also shared tears of course at the great, once in a lifetime devoted love their parents found in each other. The daughters still kept many of her beautiful lingerie, but I bought every item they offered.

Gradually over the last year I have "reluctantly" sold them.. enjoying each item, sadly many still new with tags that she never got to enjoy. Most went to the same wonderful customer, a lady in California that was as touched by the provenance as I was.

Last week my personal favorite sold. I held on to this set as long as I could. Just appreciating the lace. A white vintage set with iridescent ruffles of lace that was absolutely incredible. Ironically, it sold on line, but to a wonderful lady that lived right in my own home town. We met in person and she was thrilled with the set, admitting it was even more beautiful in person. I know the daughters would be pleased it went to such a good home.





And now I'm a wee bit sad. Of all the estates I've been to this one touched me most. I'm down to the very last set. I have truly enjoyed offering her items, and was so grateful her daughters shared the story with me. I am pleased they all went to wonderful homes, and am sure the last set will too.





Natori Peignoir Satin Peignoir Set



Find more vintage lingerie at:


VintagePretties on RubyLane



Like us on Facebook

2 comments:

  1. What a truly lovely and sad story, thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Tori.. i can't imagine being loved that much. :D

    ReplyDelete